Thursday, February 11, 2010

the results are in....

Glen and I have been concerned for two years about Rachel's snoring and tiredness. The pediatrician has looked at her tonsils at her 4 and 5 year old check up and said her tonsils were red, but not really enlarged. When Connor was having all his ear infections and at the Ears Nose Throat doctor I asked him about Rach. So, Rach went in for a check up. He agreed that her tonsils are red, but not enlarged. He said they are actually small. He put the scope up her nose and said her adnoids were a little large though. On December 20 Rach and Glen spent the night at the childrens hospital and she did a sleep study. I finally got the results this morning. Finally. Rachel does have sleep apnea. This would help explain why she is so tired and may contribute to her sadness. Also the ENT said some doctors believe enlarged adnoids can make asthma worse. We are going back for her follow up on Feb. 23 to disucss removing her tonsils and adnoids and other possbile treatments. Poor baby. I'd like to get it done though while we are here and have the Yale children's hospital. They've been very good to our two babies this year. I'm curious to see what the doctor will say. He said this morning he was surprised that she has apnea, apparently it is very rare in little children. Honestly, nothing surprises me this year.

Happily we get to celebrate Connor's birthday today! I can't believe our baby is one year old! I'll post pictures on the blog tonight of his birthday party. The girls and I made him a really cool train cake. I'm curious to see if he'll eat it. We've tried giving him nibbles of cookies and ice cream lately and he won't touch them. He is too funny.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

My niece went through the same problem and they had her tonsils removed and it made a huge difference-even her voice sounds difference now...good luck!!!