Sunday, December 6, 2009

Big Trip to NYC

The Ferris Wheel at Toys R Us

Glen and Rach at M&M World

Radio City


Times Square



So much has happened in a month and I've been a total blog slacker. If I could have a super power, it would be to pause time so I could get everything done on my to do list. Yes, I'm a huge fan of my to do list.


Last Monday our family had a huge adventure. I made my maiden voyage to New York City (or if you live in the NE, we just call it "The City"). We've lived here for 5 years this month and I'm sad to say this is my first real trip to the city. We all had a blast. I even drove! I figure I've driven all around Chicago and DC, why not NY? My good friends gave me excellent directions to a cheap parking garage and off we went. We parked right near Times Square and got to see all the lights and excitement of the city. Kate and I wanted to see Rockefeller Plaza where the Today Show is filmed. Sadly we were stuck in morning rush hour traffic and got there just as everyone was going back into the building for the last time. Bummer. Next we saw the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall. It was amazing! I want to be a rockette. I'm so glad we went. Connor was an angel; he fell asleep just before the show and slept the entire 90 minutes. It was extremely loud so I'm not sure how he did it, but thankfully he did. The girls and I were in awe. Santa was in the show too. Very cool.


When we came out of the theater, it was pouring down rain, really pouring. Glen, sweet Glen, hunched over the stroller with an umbrella trying to shelter Connor from the rain. I couldn't believe that instantly, every corner had a street vendor selling umbrellas. It was fun to see. Fortunately we brought our own and didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for one.

The rest of the afternoon we spent in Times Square. Glen, not surprisingly was enthralled with M&M World. He could live there and be a happy camper. We spent so much time in M&M World that we didn't get to go to the Hershey store. Next was Toys R Us. I found it funny that we came to the city just to go to Toys R Us. The girls kept telling me it was a special store though, not like what we have here. It did have a huge ferris wheel in the center that they got to ride. One of the cars on the ferris wheel was Buzz Lightyear themed. I was so hoping that they'd get to ride in that one since Kate is such a huge Buzz fan. They were one off. They got to ride in one of the Little Tikes toddler cars (the kind I wanted so much as a kid).

All in all it was great. I was thinking of food, as usual, and really wanted to eat at a NY deli (yumm, deli sandwiches). We found a great deli by Macys and had sandwiches on the way home. It was one of the best sandwiches of my life! Oh the turkey was shaved so thin and was moist. I'm sure I'll be thinking of that sandwich for many days to come. I'll just have to plan another trip!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

April! I'm so glad you guys got to do this. I'm a huge sandwich fan, too! Your description made my mouth water. Congrats on now having seen NYC!!!

Potter Family said...

I finally went to NYC with one of my good friends for our 30th birthdays. It was so much fun. I just wanted to experience it and Ellis Island. Not a place I'd want to live in, but fun to visit, none-the-less. How are things?